7/28/11

Leaves & Roots


Ok. This first sentence is going to make me sound like a total Debbie Downer, but just try to bear with me.

The biggest thing I'm learning right now is this: A lot of the time, friends are seasonal.

Ick, right? No one likes to think that way. I don't know many people who start out a new friendship thinking "in a year or so, we might not even talk anymore", because that's depressing. But the thing I'm starting to grasp is, it's true. I'm beginnig to wrap my head around the fact that sometimes, we're just blessed to walk through a period of our lives closely with someone, and then they're supposed to keep walking. I think being able to see relationships that way makes life a little bit easier, because when it becomes clear that that person needs to keep going-sometimes it's hard to let go. Sometimes all you want to do is chase after them and try to tag along. And that's just not what's supposed to happen.

I don't think this even has to be a super negative thing. Your decision to walk different paths doesn't have to be the result of a fall out or a fight, sometimes it's just the way God intended it. For that someone to walk through this season with you, and that's all. For that time you're supposed to learn from them, let them learn from you, and hold each other up. And then it's supposed to end. Sadly, sometimes things end ugly, and those tend to take longer to heal from, because yes you walked together and learned togther and held each other up, but you also hurt each other in the end. But again, it's supposed to end. And it can be so hard to let go. I'm someone who loves completely and deeply and faithfully, which unfortunately can set you up for heartbreak. And don't hear me saying that you shouldn't invest and love-because that is one of the greatest joys in life. I guess what I'm getting back to is that there's only one person that's never ever going to let you down. Never ever going to walk a different path. You know who that is, right?

 "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." -Hebrews 13:5

We are so blessed with human companionship, I think it can be one of the best ways to bring glory to the Father and to better know Him. Some of the friendships and relationships I've had have actually helped me better understand the way the Father loves me, and visa versa. And some people I've walked through life with have walked out and left behind more baggage than the Duggars take on vacation. But you stil learn. You still love. And you never let that hurt stop you from loving just as deeply as you did before.

I love me some Madea, and she hits the nail on the head with her analogy of people to trees.
"Some people are like leaves on a tree. When the wind blows, they're over there... wind blow that way they over here... they're unstable. When the seasons change they wither and die, they're gone. That's alright....But if you find 2 or 3 people in your life that's like the roots at the bottom of that tree you are blessed. Those are the kind of people that aren't going nowhere. They aren't worried about being seen, nobody has to know that they know you, they don't have to know what they're doing for you but if those roots weren't there, that tree couldn't live."

{Youtube won't let me embed the video, so here is the link. Nail on the head.}

I love you guys. And I want to make sure no one the reads this reads it and thinks "uh...is she talking about me?", cause I'm not. Just learning and walking.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
& just because I'm a sucker for a good musical, and this fits

1 comment:

Sarah McLain said...

Blake,
This is perfect. Exactly what I needed to read this morning! I very much admire your optimistic perspective on life! Miss you so much!
Love, Sarah